This posting is now closed.
Full-Time, Interim (1 year minimum or until return of Incumbent, whichever is greater)
The BCIT Faculty and Staff Association in Burnaby is seeking an Interim Labour Relations Representative (LRR) beginning as soon as possible as a backfill for a staff member on leave.
The BCIT FSA is a union of 1,600 faculty and technical employees working primarily at BCIT’s Burnaby and Downtown Vancouver campuses. The FSA is associated with the BC Federation of Labour, the Canadian Association of University Teachers, and the Canadian Labour Congress. As part of a team of representatives, the LRR works with FSA members to identify and seek resolutions to workplace and collective agreement issues through advocacy, engagement, and educational processes. As all FSA members are covered by one collective agreement and one employer, the members of the FSA’s representation team work closely together and share responsibilities. For this interim position, we seek an experienced union advocate with strong communication and collaboration skills who is interested in participating in a team approach to representation.
- Investigates workplace issues and develops strategies to address disputes and problems, in collaboration with colleagues
- Co-ordinates with colleagues to provide consistent and effective labour relations representation and advice to members
- Represents the union and members in consultation and recourse processes with management, including grievance processes
- Advocates on behalf of the FSA and members up to referral to arbitration
- Thoroughly documents issues and grievance files
- Conducts research for issue and grievance files based on past practice and resolutions, as well as legal precedents and other reference points
- Develops and delivers member education programs in accordance with the union’s member education plan
- Prepares written materials for the newsletter and website as requested
- Professional experience as a union advocate addressing workplace issues
- Ability to listen, ask incisive questions, identify problems, and develop solutions
- Outstanding advocacy and negotiation skills
- Strong written communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and co-operatively as a team member in a demanding environment
- Proven skills to reliably research, record, track, retrieve, and share information in a timely way
- Strong analytical reasoning
- Comfortable working in a highly computerized and networked environment, including reliance on MS Office and Outlook, internet research, and creating database entries and retrieving database information
The FSA is actively committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. We encourage applications from qualified members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including but not limited to: status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, neurodiversity, political belief, religion, marital or family status, or age.
The salary for the position is between $72,871.89 and $86,449.87 with placement based on experience. The FSA offers many lifestyle advantages including a comprehensive benefit package, participation in the Municipal Pension Plan, minimal overtime and travel, and the amenities of working on a post-secondary campus.
Please email your cover letter and resume by April 12, 2019 to: Maria_Angerilli@bcit.ca.Leave a reply →