Posting is now closed.
Full-Time, Temporary (1 year). PDF version.
The BCIT Faculty and Staff Association in Burnaby is seeking a temporary Senior Labour Relations Representative (SLRR) for a one-year term beginning February 20, 2018. The BCITFSA is a union of 1,600 faculty and technical employees working primarily at BCIT’s Burnaby and Downtown Vancouver campuses. The FSA is associated with the BC Federation of Labour and the Canadian Association of University Teachers (CAUT).
The SLRR co-ordinates and leads a team of labour relations representatives (LRRs) working with FSA members to identify and seek resolution to workplace and collective agreement issues through advocacy, engagement, and educational processes. As all FSA members are covered by one collective agreement and one employer, the members of the FSA’s Labour Relations Team work closely together and share responsibilities. The SLRR reports to the Executive Director and keeps them apprised of labour relations concerns and priorities. In addition to ensuring that the strategies and positions adopted by the LRRs are coherent and consistent with a broader labour relations strategy, the SLRR usually handles the Association’s most complex and sensitive files up to and including third party tribunals. The SLRR provides direction and guidance to FSA staff in the Executive Director’s absence.
For this temporary position, we seek a seasoned union advocate with strong communication and collaboration skills who has experience at arbitration as well as with leading teams and co-ordinating colleagues.
- Maintains a caseload of frequently complex files representing the union and its members in consultations and negotiations with the employer and through grievances and other recourse processes up to and including arbitration
- Takes a leadership role in identifying systemic concerns and works with the Executive Director, the Labour Relations Team, and other union officers to develop strategies for addressing such issues
- Maintains an overview of the caseloads of all LRRs and ensures that approaches to files are consistent with an overall labour relations strategy
- Provides guidance and advice to other LRRs in the handling of their caseloads
- Leads the Labour Relations Team in developing best practices
- Carries out legal research in support of this work
- Thoroughly documents case files
- Participates in the development and delivery of member education programs
- Prepares written materials for the newsletter and website as requested
- Provides direction and guidance to Labour Relations Team staff in the absence of the Executive Director
- Substantial experience as a union representative, including appearances at arbitration
- Outstanding advocacy and negotiation skills
- Ability to listen, ask incisive questions, identify problems, and develop solutions
- Familiarity with applicable legislation and recent developments in labour law
- Familiarity with the post-secondary education environment is strongly preferred
- Strong written communications and file documentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams and provide guidance to colleagues
- Strong analytical reasoning skills including the ability to see patterns, identify solutions to complex problems, and develop strategies for achieving those solutions
- Ability to prioritize competing demands and organize work flow in a high volume, high pressure, office environment
- High tolerance for complexity and uncertainty
- Strong skills in and capacity for collaboration and dialogue
- Comfort working in a highly computerized and networked environment, including reliance on MS Office and Outlook, internet research, and using databases
The salary for the position is between $89,263 and $94,996 with placement based on experience. The FSA offers many lifestyle advantages including a comprehensive benefit package, a modified work week, participation in the Municipal Pension Plan, minimal overtime and travel, and the amenities of working on a post-secondary campus. Interviews for this position are expected to be held between January 15-19, 2018, with an anticipated start date of February 20.
Please email your cover letter and resume by January 10, 2018 to Paul Reniers [email@example.com].Leave a reply →