Zaa Joseph, FSA Director, Equity Caucus Liaison
In May 2017, the FSA Board of Directors approved an Equity Policy for the Association and in June 2018 formed an FSA Equity Caucus (EC) with Terms of Reference seeking to bring the FSA’s Equity Policy to life.
As the Board liaison to the EC, we hosted a roundtable session in December 2018 with a diverse group of members to discuss possibilities towards animating the Equity Caucus’ mandate.
The session raised some great questions including:
- How much awareness is there amongst the FSA membership about the experiences of their colleagues who face various forms of discrimination or exclusion?
- Which Truth & Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action apply to the work of the FSA?
- What work is already taking place at BCIT on justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion?
- What is the Equity Caucus’ role in holding BCIT accountable for its own commitment to diversity, equitable employment practices, and other inclusion actions?
- What wise practices are other faculty associations using that we may want to apply?
- What are the tools that members need to hold each other and themselves accountable?
BCIT itself needs to live its commitment to diversity and inclusion but so does the FSA. We need to do so in our work of representing, negotiating and advocating for our members and we also need to do it in our own programs and services as well as an employer ourselves.
This work isn’t a checklist, it is a process. It will be strengthened by the participation of members who bring a wide intersection of experiences, perspectives, and knowledge. We hope you will join us.
Interested in joining the FSA Equity Caucus?
- Open to all FSA members
- You can join (or leave) at any time
- The EC will meet quarterly unless the group decides more often is required (Next meeting: Wed, April 3, 2019 @ 2:30pm)
The BCITFSA is committed to facilitating involvement and removal of barriers for members of marginalized groups disproportionately excluded from full participation in both the Association and BCIT. If you require support to be involved in the Equity Caucus including, but not limited to – childcare, transportation, ASL interpretation.