The BCIT Faculty & Staff Association is affiliated with the BC Federation of Labour (BCFED). The BC Federation of Labour represents over 500,000 members from affiliated unions across the province, working in every aspect of the BC economy. It has a long and proud history of fighting for the rights of all working people to a safe workplace and fair wages. The goals of the BCFED are best exemplified by its slogan: “What we desire for ourselves, we wish for all.” Find out more on the BCFED website.
How Are We Involved?
- As part of our membership we have a seat on the BCFED Executive Council. That seat is held by the current FSA President, Colin Jones.
- We also have rights to send a voting delegation to the biennial BCFED Convention which gives our membership an opportunity to weigh in on resolutions and issues facing BC’s labour movement.
- As part of our membership in the BCFED we are able to appoint FSA staff and members to BCFED standing committees (below).
Want To Be Involved?
Being a representative for the BCITFSA on a BCFED Standing Committee is a great way for our members to meet colleagues from across the labour movement and to connect around issues that are important to you. FSA reps to these committees are expected to:
- Attend meetings of the committee
- If the committee meeting times are inconvenient for you, please discuss the issue with the Chair of the committee
- Participate in meetings of the committee with a lens of considering what may broadly benefit people who work at a public post-secondary institute
- Keep any information you are given as a committee member
- The FSA does not need copies of this information unless you are seeking our input or advice but we ask that you keep the information for your own purposes of serving as a committee member
- Keep the FSA informed of any significant committee actions that you think would be relevant to the membership
Committees & Current FSA Appointees
Each committee is co-chaired by Officers of the BCFED who will be your primary contact once you are on the committee. The FSA President is responsible for appointing our representatives to the committees. This FSA has two seats on each committee – a primary and an alternate. If we don’t have appointees (see below) and you are interested in joining the committee please contact us.
Where available, Committee meeting minutes may be accessed here.
- Climate Justice and Jobs: Eva Y Wong, Kerly Hitchcock (alternate)
Community & Social Action (inactive)
- Constitution & Structure: Michael Thompson, Colin Jones (alternate)
- Human Rights: Tammy Hardie, missing alternate.
- Occupational Health & Safety: Bobby Sidhu, Gurleen Bhatia (alternate)
- Political Action: Andrea Matthews, missing alternate.
- Women and Gender Rights: Andrea Matthews, Kerly Hitchcock (alternate)
- Young Workers’: No appointee or alternate.
Working Groups & Current FSA Appointees
- Apprenticeship & Skills Training Working Group (Maninder Dhesi)
- Climate Change Working Group (Joe Boyd)
- Public Sector Bargaining Working Group (Colin Jones)
Orientation to your committee or working group should be provided by the committee chair(s). If you do not receive an orientation, please let us know.