Tech Reps play a vital role in the FSA, similar to that of shop stewards in other unions
What is a Tech Rep?
Technology Representatives (Tech Reps) are FSA leaders in each Department and area. Selected annually, they provide an essential, personal link between the FSA’s Board of Directors, staff and the union’s general membership.
- Tech Reps, as defined under Article 1.8.14 of the Collective Agreement, have the legal protections that apply to a union representative.
- Representation is a core function of the FSA and Tech Reps are a vital part of how the Association consults and gains feedback from its members, allowing the FSA to improve our ability to formulate informed policy and respond effectively to ongoing changes at BCIT.
- Tech Reps make the FSA strong and a strong FSA helps make BCIT a better educational institution and workplace.
- Tech Reps support the FSA’s core values.
- The FSA’s Tech Rep policy (2.3.1) provides further details.
Who is your Tech Rep?
- The FSA Tech Reps are a broad representation of the various BCIT departments and programs in which FSA members work
- There are usually two Tech Reps per area but some areas have more (or less) based on the size of the department
- Tech Reps are selected by their departments
- The FSA can provide support with Tech Rep selection if needed
- We encourage departments to revisit their Tech Rep selection regularly
- Current Tech Reps, as of Mar 1, 2023
- Changes are made to the list on a continual basis to keep it up-to-date. Please notify us if there have been changes to the Tech Rep(s) in your area.
- If your area doesn’t have a Tech Rep and you are interested, let us know!
What do Tech Reps do?
- Attend 7 Tech Rep meetings per year – monthly from September – November and January – April
- We also hold an annual social to thank all the Tech Reps (usually in May)
- Receive information from the FSA staff and elected leadership
- Report information to their departments
- Keep in touch with the FSA members in their departments to ensure they understand the various perspectives of the members they represent
- Provide information and perspectives from the FSA membership to the FSA staff and elected leadership