The contractual agreements between BCIT and the FSA are contained in a collective agreement and a series of agreements called “memoranda of agreements”, also known as Collective Agreement Memags or CA Memags.
BCIT-FSA Collective Agreement
- 2019 – 2022 Collective Agreement
- On May 27, 2020, your Bargaining Team reached a tentative agreement with BCIT for a new Collective Agreement.
- As per the process for bargaining, the tentative agreement was presented the FSA membership, for a ratification vote.
- The Bargaining Team recommended voting yes to ratify the agreement and members voted from June 3-8, 2020. Based on the results, the agreement was ratified and will replace the 2014-19 Collective Agreement (CA).
- Once a new 2019-22 CA is published it will be posted here. The process of publishing a new CA can take quite a few months after bargaining is complete. To see the summary of the settlement, visit our blog.
- 2014 – 2019 Collective Agreement – BCIT & FSA (PDF)
Collective Agreements Memoranda of Agreements (Memags)
CA Memags are negotiated by BCIT and the FSA between bargaining cycles and they serve different functions. Some CA Memags fill in perceived gaps in the FSA-BCIT Collective Agreement. Others vary provisions of the FSA-BCIT Collective Agreement in specific circumstances, such that those provisions operate differently than stated. Still other CA Memags establish an agreed upon interpretation and practice for provisions that have proved confusing or contentious.
In recent years, the FSA has taken steps to alter our previous practices regarding memoranda of agreements, including by entering into less agreements. Another aspect of this altered approach is to publish more CA Memags on our website than was previously the case. At BCIT’s request and because some agreements require it, the FSA will seek BCIT’s agreement to publish CA Memags that have never been published before. We also plan to publish CA Memags with annotations so that their terms make sense to members. If you have questions regarding any of these CA Memags, please contact the FSA.
- Memag 09FSA40 – “Guide to Article 10.3 – Professional Development”