In the 2020 settlement, your FSA Bargaining Team achieved the creation of a pooled sick leave fund. This was created for eligible PTS-FSA Instructors/Lecturers who are unable to teach due to an illness. BCIT contributes $25,000 per year to this fund, which can be accessed on a first come, first serve basis.
To be eligible for access to the sick leave fund, Instructors must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a member of the BCIT Faculty & Staff Association (FSA)
- Have accrued 150 part-time studies hours in the previous calendar year (June 1 – May 31)
- Not entitled to sick leave benefits available to employees under Article 9.3
- Not have a gap in contracts greater than five consecutive months
- Currently sick and unable to instruct a part-time studies course per Article 15.8.1 (PTS curriculum or administrative contracts are not covered by this fund)
When the fund is exhausted, no further sick leave pay shall be provided to PTS instructors during the fiscal year.
To access this fund, PTS instructors should report their sick time to their department and a PTS Sick Leave form will be completed and sent to Disability Management in BCIT Human Resources. The PTS instructor may be contacted by Disability Management if additional information is needed regarding the sick leave.
If you have any questions about the PTS Sick Leave fund, please contact BCIT Human Resources.