An increasing number of teachers at Canada’s colleges and universities are trapped in precarious contract and part-time work. Contract and part-time work has quietly gone from a short-term stepping stone to a career-long condition. Many earn less than a living wage.
Thousands of professors are denied the opportunity each year to participate in (and be paid for) all aspects of academic work – research, teaching, and service. This has serious implications, not only for contract academic staff, but for students, their regular academic staff colleagues, and the integrity of postsecondary institutions.
We can change this, by improving the working conditions and job security of contract academic staff.
Fair Employment Week is held in October each year. CAUT members across Canada are hosting events on campus to support fair treatment of all academic staff. In 2019, Fair Employment Week takes place from Oct 7-11, 2019.
In 2018, the FSA and our Caucus on Part-Time Studies (COPTS) participated in the campaign from Oct 22-26:
- Held a meeting for COPTS members with Burnaby-North MLA Janet Routledge who then shared her experience in the BC legislature
- Letter to BCIT Board of Governors (Posted in Members Portal)
- Letter to Minister of Advanced Education, Skills & Training (Posted in Members Portal)
- Shared campaign posters, t-shirts, and buttons around campus
- Had an FEW table at the Oct 24th AGM
- Supported the launch of Non-Regular
- Co-hosted the 3rd annual FEW social event co-hosting with faculty associations around the Lower Mainland
Previous Fair Employment Week Celebrations
Since 2016 the FSA has celebrated CAUT’s Fair Employment Week.
Here are just some of the ways we’ve worked to acknowledge the issues facing precarious post-secondary workers and campaigned for better conditions. This enhances and builds upon the work done by our labour relations team to protect and advances the rights of members in Part-Time Studies (PTS).
- Launched our own series of FEW videos
- Utilized our blog to build awareness and highlight PTS voices
- Focused an issue of FSA Voice newsletter on FEW (PDF)
- Use our social media channels to amplify messages (Follow us on Twitter)
- Co-Coordinated Lower Mainland Pub Event to build connections with members from other faculty associations facing similar issues
- Encouraged people to sign the CAUT Fair Employment Week pledge