An increasing number of teachers at Canada’s colleges and universities are trapped in precarious contract and part-time work. Contract and part-time work has quietly gone from a short-term stepping stone to a career-long condition. Many earn less than a living wage.
Thousands of professors are denied the opportunity each year to participate in (and be paid for) all aspects of academic work – research, teaching, and service. This has serious implications, not only for contract academic staff, but for students, their regular academic staff colleagues, and the integrity of postsecondary institutions.
We can change this, by improving the working conditions and job security of contract academic staff.
Fair Employment Week is held in October each year. CAUT members across Canada are hosting events on campus to support fair treatment of all academic staff. In 2019, Fair Employment Week takes place from Oct 18-22, 2021. You can check out what’s taking place on CAUT’s website.
Over the years, the FSA and our Caucus on Part-Time Studies (COPTS) as participated in the campaign in a variety of ways. Here are just some of the ways we’ve worked to acknowledge the issues facing precarious post-secondary workers and campaigned for better conditions. This enhances and builds upon the work done by our labour relations team to protect and advances the rights of members in Part-Time Studies (PTS).
- Posted blogs from the members of the FSA’s Caucus on Part-Time Studies (COPTS)
- Held a meeting for COPTS members with Burnaby-North MLA Janet Routledge who then shared her experience in the BC legislature
- Letter to BCIT Board of Governors (Posted in Members Portal)
- Letter to Minister of Advanced Education, Skills & Training (Posted in Members Portal)
- Shared FEW materials such as campaign posters, t-shirts, and buttons around campus
- Supported the launch of Non-Regular
- Co-hosting the annual FEW social event with faculty associations around the Lower Mainland
- Launched our own series of FEW videos
- Utilized our blog to build awareness and highlight PTS voices
- Focused an issue of FSA Voice newsletter on FEW (PDF)
- Use our social media channels to amplify messages (Follow us on Twitter)
- Encouraged people to sign the CAUT Fair Employment Week pledge