Colin Jones, on behalf of the FSA Board of Directors
Earlier this year we shared that we were undertaking the development of a new strategic plan for the BCIT Faculty & Staff Association (FSA). Our process began back in 2019 after we extended our previous plan to allow new staff and elected leadership an opportunity to assess our current environment and determine what might be needed in the years ahead.
And then the pandemic hit.
After adjusting to remote work and with our new Executive Director solidly in place, we decided to forge ahead. We embarked on a process to build on the work conducted by the board of directors in 2019 and we reached out to members to create a plan to guide us in the coming years.
- Conducted environmental scans to look at the internal documentation we already had, the strategic directions of BCIT, and the broader context of the labour and post-secondary environments.
- Ran four mini-surveys for all FSA members with almost 300 responses.
- Held facilitated sessions with the FSA Tech Reps as well as the three FSA Caucuses.
- Ran a survey for members who only work in Part-Time Studies with over 100 responses and 30 follow up phone conversations.
- Conducted a staff & board survey well as workshops with both groups.
This plan could not have been built without the input we received. We compiled the feedback and got down to the challenging task of synthesizing the information into a refreshed vision, mission, and values as well as four priority areas with related goals and objectives. We were guided in this work by the capable facilitation of JP Baker (Vantage Point) and we are so pleased with our new five-year plan which reflects our “DNA”, or our “RNA”, Representation, Negotiation, Advocacy!Leave a reply →