- This event has passed.
Diversity Circles Learning Differences & Neurodiversity Panel and Workshop
May 30, 2016 @ 12:30 pm - 3:00 pm
How do we respond to diversity?
Do you want to better support the success of students with learning differences and neurodiversity?
FSA Diversity Circles invites the entire BCIT employee community to join us for an opportunity to listen, learn, and share about learning differences.
Refreshments will be served.
- 12:30pm: Traditional Welcome & Event Opening
- 12:45pm: Panel on supporting students with Learning Differences and Neurodiversity
- Shannon Kelly, Program Head, BCIT Communication Department: A pilot to structure group work and group projects to better include students with Autism specifically, and neurodiversity in the classroom generally.
- Malinee Narang, Senior Human Resources Partner, SAP Employer perspective: SAP’s innovative recruiting and hiring program, Autism At Work, to leverage an untapped talent source and support the global diversity initiative.
- Mark Overgaard, Instructor, BCIT Piping Department: Newly introduced Mathematics delivery method for the Trades with a specific focus on Inclusive design principles/ UID – Universal Instructional Design
- Cheryl Sokol, Coordinator, BCIT Disability Resource Centre: Innovative technologies supporting the needs of students and providing better access to education, including the Read & Write tool.
- 1:40pm: Visit Information/Resource Tables set up by: Counselling, D2L, Disability Resource Centre, ISEP & PELD, Instructor 2 Instructor Support for Teaching EAL, Learning & Teaching Centre, Learning Commons, and the Piping program!
- 2:00pm: Workshop on Universal Design, Peter Fenrich, BCIT Learning & Teaching Centre
Logistical details below.
We want everyone to be able to participate in our Diversity Circles. Please don’t hesitate to let us know what we can do to accommodate your needs. In an attempt to create an inclusive environment we ask attendees to refrain from using scented products prior to attending.
While we would prefer people to attend in-person to be a part of the discussions, we are also offering this session via live stream. To join:
- Go to www.bcit.ca/live
- Login using your BCIT ID and password
- Once the live video is available, use the field below the video feed to post questions. (Note: your name will display with any questions you post.)